Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Vegan Baker

I have never been a good baker. I remember that the only thing I was good at baking when I started cooking was a popular and easy yogurt cake where you were using the yogurt cup to measure everything...a pretty easy and foolproof recipe. I do bake a good pizza but that's not dessert! Since I started exploring vegan recipes I turned into an enthusiastic and happy baker. I always have dreaded all the butter and sugar that traditional dessert and baking goods use so I have never approached dessert baking before. Vegan desserts seemed more approachable to me and I think it's amazing what you can prepare without eggs, milk, cream or butter!

The other day my four years old boy asked for brownies and I knew only one thing: I did not want to prepare them with a boxed mix. I started researching and found a video recipe on You Tube which not only only was vegan, it also sounded yummy and easy to make! I prepared vegan brownies before but the recipe called for bananas and they became way too sweet for our taste. The interesting thing about all these vegan brownies recipes is that they almost always call for black beans, how cool is that? Getting great protein from a brownie? I am in! The result was great, everyone loved it and my son was very happy to have his brownies. You will find the written recipe here. I did reduce the amount of sugar from 2 and 1/2 cups to 1 and 1/2 cups and they were sweet enough in my opinion. 

Black Beans Brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment