Monday, June 24, 2013

Ultimate Creamy Vegan Mayo - No Tofu!

One of the things I miss most from the non-vegan food is mayonnaise. Yes, I admit it. I do not miss eggs, milk, fish or meat but mayonnaise is something that it is missing from my vegan sandwiches. I tried Trader Joe's vegan mayo which I didn't like much and I also tried the Veganaise from "Follow Your Heart" brand which I liked a lot...but I wanted to avoid the almost $5 a jar! After researching the Net I ended finding the best recipe on an Italian YouTube channel. I wanted an easy, fast and tofu-free recipe I could prepare whenever I was craving for mayo.


 The recipe is so simple and uses simple ingredients, here is it:
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
- Juice of 1 lemon (I have used half lemon in my recipe)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of turmeric (which I omitted this time)
- 1/2 T of mustard

You just add the ingredients on a tall glass and mix them with an immersion blender, trying to incorporate air going up and down as you mix. I was amazed by how creamy the result was and the flavor blew me away, it tastes just like a good old mayo! I put the mayo in a small jar and stored it in my refrigerator (I believe it lasts about one week). I used part of it for my lunch sandwich with tomato and basil...I didn't feel guilty adding mayo on BOTH sides of my sandwich! 




No comments:

Post a Comment